Tackling the Infamous “Tell Me About Yourself” Question

Image result for tell me about yourself

“Tell me about yourself” is probably the most commonly asked interview question. Interviewers usually start off the interview with the question, and having a strong response will leave them with a positive first impression of you. A common way of approaching the ‘Tell me about yourself’ question is through the use of an elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is a 30-60 seconds pitch about who you are and what you’re looking for. A good way to think about it is that you are in an elevator with your interviewer, and you have the length of the elevator ride to sell yourself. While an elevator pitch can be used to sell any ‘product’, we will be focusing on selling you as a candidate for a position.

While crafting your elevator pitch, it is important to keep it professional. Employers are not asking you this question because they want to know what your pet’s name is and what your favorite color is. Instead, they want to know why you are the best candidate for the job. Your elevator pitch should generally contains 3 parts:

1. Who you are & what do you do:
    This beginning of your elevator pitch is when you introduce yourself and what you have been doing. Whether you are currently employed and are looking for new opportunities, or if you are a student in college who is looking for an internship opportunity, it is important to provide the interviewer with a brief background of your professional career.
  1. Why should they care – what are some things that set you apart from others?
    This could include any particular skills that you possess that will be helpful for the position, or any past experiences that showcase your interests.
  1. What do you want – why are you interviewing for this position? What is important for you to find in your next position?
    This is generally known as the “ask” in an elevator pitch. This will be the opportunity to show the interviewers that you have done your research and understand the job description of the job you are applying for. It is important to offer a compelling answer as to why this position, and what about this position can help you grow. Answers that are generally not acceptable are sayings along the lines of “I am currently unemployed and need a job”, or “I need something to put onto my resume”.

An example of an elevator pitch could be:

My name is Mary and I am a junior studying Human Biology, Health and Society at Cornell University. Through my studies, I realized that being a doctor is not the only way to help people in a healthcare setting. Instead, working at a more ‘up stream’ level within the healthcare industry can have an even more profound effect. As a result, I have been particularly drawn towards hospital administration, and more specifically how management could not only facilitate performance improvement, but also increase practitioner satisfaction. Last summer, I had the opportunity to intern at the Huntington Hospital, where I was able to take part in a project in collaboration with doctors that aimed to improve clinical performance by increasing points of communication between physicians and nurses. With this upcoming summer, I am hoping to gain further opportunity in the health management sector to further develop my management knowledge and skills in health care sites other than a hospital environment.