Dear Aunt Martha: Cover Letter Help!

cover letter illustration

Dear Aunt Martha,

Help! Cover letters for summer internships are a struggle. How do I sound professional without being boring?!

Sincerely,

Anxious Applicant

Dear Anxious Applicant,

A cover letter is your chance to make a good first impression on potential employers. It’s an introduction: a written firm handshake and elevator pitch in one.

As such, I have three words for you: Show. Don’t. Tell.

You’re an amazing communicator, great! But what have you done that shows me your communicating prowess? Give me a story that illustrates who you are, give me details that show your proficiency, your diligence and your kindness, for example. Give me something that distinguishes you from the rest.

A good cover letter should clearly express your interests and highlight relevant soft skills and experiences that are aligned with your employer’s needs. So, what are some unique personal experiences that showcase these relevant skills and knowledge? What are some specific challenges and adversities that you have overcome that have shaped you into a person that your employer would like to hire?

Check out these helpful cover letter writing guides [CEC Cover Letter Guide] from the CEC for more cover letter writing tips! Also, be sure to drop by the Career Exploration Center and ask one of our experienced Career Assistants for help on writing and editing cover letters. Good luck!

Warm Wishes,

Aunt Martha