Dear Aunt Martha: Social Media As a Professional Career Development Tool

illustration of people interacting on social media

Dear Aunt Martha,

I recently saw some of my DEA, FSAD, and PAM classmates link their instagram and twitter accounts to their portfolios. As a design student myself, should I also be linking these platforms to my resume/portfolio? I’m afraid of being seen as unprofessional…

Best,

Rhonda R. Esume

Dear Rhonda,

Linking web-based platforms such as Instagram and twitter on professional portfolios has become a popular trend among certain professional circles including the design and fashion industries as well as among many government and political sectors. Be aware, however: the social media platforms that you choose to link to your professional portfolio should be separate from your private accounts. Everything posted on these “official accounts” should be purposeful and professional.

Instagram:

Many designers use instagram as an extension of their visual portfolio as it is a great way to showcase their design aesthetic. For example, if your graphics are usually vibrant and busy, your feed should reflect that with posts of similarly themed artwork (an image of a colorful mural that you painted, for example). Additionally, instagram can be a great way to allow employers a behind the scenes tour of your creative process. For example, instagram may be used to allow viewers to experience where you draw your inspirations from or may be used to showcase the different steps in creating your final masterpiece. A word of warning, however: in posting your art on Instagram, be sure to check the quality of your photographs before posting them, as Instagram is known to downgrade the upload quality of high resolution images.

Twitter:

Using twitter can be a great way to not only show employers that you understand what is going on in the world around you, but can also be a great way to reach out to potential employers. For example, tweeting at a company to ask about when an internship will be posted or if the company has reviewed your application is often appropriate. Twitter is often informal, but nevertheless, remember your manners! You should always keep your best foot forwards, no matter the platform, paper, electronic or otherwise.

I hope that my response helps!

Warmest Wishes,

Aunt Martha